Monday, January 11, 2010

you have GOT to see this




I dedicate this blog post to real people with real budgets in the real world






















here is MORE proof that you do not have to have tons of money to have incredible style. I receive lots of email from friendly followers. The one I received from this young women blew me away! Maria is a stay at home mom with 5 children (which she had in only seven years) She has an incredible sense of design and natural talent for decorating. She did all of her decorating on a small budget. I think you will be amazed at the photos that marie took of her home. Which by the way is a modular - yes I said modular home. I asked maria some to share her thoughts about her style and home. She was happy to answer some questions from me. I think you can learn alot from her advice - especially her answer for question #5. Maria is a very smart and extremely talented women. I don't think this will be the last you will see of her.

























1.how did you "choose" your home when purchasing it?
We actually don't own this home. My husband is a horse trainer.

His boss told us that we could pick out a new modular home 6 years
ago. So we picked out one that was big enough for our entire family.
(I am a stay at home mom and have 5 kids. I had 5 kids in 7 years.)



2.what was it like before?
We had all the plant shelves removed when buying it. (they make

modular homes loaded with plant shelves) My husband added all the trim
to every doorway and window. All the walls were a flat brown color.
My husband added the tin to the ceiling and behind the stove. We
haven't done much esthetically to it because it isn't ours.




3.what is your design philosophy?
I love taking something like a mobile home and turning it into

something nobody would imagine should be on the inside. I think
people get stuck with this idea if you live in a certain area, or in a
certain type of house then it has to look like that. I think it is
possible to turn any space into whatever you what to imagine it to
be. We bought a 1970s mobile home 11 years ago, and we turned the
inside into a cute farmhouse . At least I thought it was. I pretty
much have an all white pallet, but have added a few pieces with
color. Also love to add color with fresh cut flowers.




4. how about your budget?
I didn't have a budget with buying the house, because our boss paid

for it. As far as furnishings I had to buy my couches and lights with
money I had saved from raising Corgi puppies.




5.do you have any money saving tips or advice?
Money saving advice. I have learned not to go out shopping for

something without having an idea of what I need. I know that if I go
shopping and don't have a purpose, I always come home with something I
don't need, and end up not wanting. I have to STAY FOCUSED. Also I
have taken my time, I didn't decorate my house overnight, and if I
had, I know I wouldn't be happy with it. It is still not finished. I
worked on the two main rooms first. I Am working on the bedrooms now.




6.where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration from books, magazines, and blogs.
I love reading Atlanta Bartlett's books. Her books are my favorite.




7. what is your favorite "find"
My favorite find is the chandelier in the room with the
sectional. I think this chandelier would look great in any room in
any house. I got a good deal on it, and have never seen another one
like it for that price.




























the story behind the "look" - by marie

When people come in to my home they say I am crazy because of all the white, and five kids. To me white is so much easier to keep looking fresh. I have always loved trying to be creative. I have ever since I was a little kid. After my kids are grown I would love to do design work.

I have always loved to decorate. The look of my house is always evolving. I think the key has been for me is taking my time. I have been collecting for quite some time. I bought my couches first. Then found the lights. My husband built our dining table. He put all the trim up in the house and also added molding around the windows and doors. In the living room he added 100 year old tin to the recessed area. He also put the tin behind the stove on the wall. My sister found the tin for me in New Hampshire, I got a really good deal on it. My sisters also sewed most of my pillows for me. (It is always nice to have someone in the family that can sew, which unfortunately I can't)








I do love the big white cupboard (the one with the yellow shutter to the left and the mirror to the right) I found that with my sister. It was an ugly brown color and was under 200.00. I painted it and found the knobs on ebay. My husband added the molding at the top. It is now our coat closet. The bottom drawers serve as glove drawers. Not only was it a good deal, but I found it on a memorable shopping trip with my sister.







I am always moving things from one room to the other. I also find that changing the wall paint is a huge makeover. I painted the house myself, inside and out. I have gotten some really good deals on furniture that looks pretty bad, I know all it needs is a coat of white paint, and maybe some bead board in the back. Almost everything in the house is white, except a few select pieces that I found and loved the color.










Putting fresh flowers in the house is also another way to add color. I planted over 20 hydrangea bushes, so during spring I have plenty to put in my pitchers and have enough for outside. I also planted 12 rose bushes. I found really pretty fall foliage in the Sierra Mountains this year for fall. I then stripped all the leaves off the branches and turned them into a place to hang our ornaments.

















I am not proud of the huge t.v. My husband had to have that. I couldn't say no. After all he is a cowboy who lives in an all white house with a lot of crystal.
































hope you were impressed as much as I was by her home. WOW! What an inspiration!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails